Youth from care describe 19th birthdays like falling off a cliff. Let’s change that.
You’re invited to The 19th Birthday Party We Deserve - a community celebration and public gathering where together, we'll show that youth transitions should be filled with hope and love. Join us for a community feast, with a meal for youth from care, a birthday party setting you won’t forget, and a collection of youth voices for change.
If you’re a youth from care, we can provide food, bus tickets, and community at the event. This is a way for us to come together and celebrate who we are and what we’re capable of, and look forward to a future where transitions are positive.
- A piñata we’ll smash, symbolizing the system we want to change
- A meal because food is what can bring us together
- A happy birthday chorus to warm your hearts
- A few speeches from the Fostering Change crew
- A social safety net (literally, a net) tied with ribbons celebrating what we wish for, and a demonstration of what we’ll catch in it
You can expect some media covering the event (but if you don’t want your face in the news, we can accomodate!) and youth sharing our voices. You’ll hear folks celebrate what we’re capable of and a call to join our work moving forward. Children welcome.
WANT TO VOLUNTEER?:
Fostering Change’s team needs a few key volunteers for logistics tasks during the day. Send us an email - firstname.lastname@example.org if you want to participate.
We respectfully acknowledge that this event is hosted on the traditional, unceded territory of the Musqueam, Squamish, and Tsleil-Wautuh peoples.