On March 30th 2020, MCFD posted this article titled "Expanding supports to help youth in care during the pandemic" in response to COVID19 and youth impact.
Throughout the pandemic, Fostering Change, allies and stakeholders lobbied for youth in and from care to receive support.
The nation wide call was answered first in Ontario with a moratorium, then here at home with regulatory changes to expand supports.
Some notable actions lately:
- The joint press release with the Child Welfare League of Canada was widely successful and helped to build momentum in BC.
- Our letter to Minister to Katrine Conroy was read in record time after being sent.
- The "Prompt your local government" - ally letter by Darian Newell - reached the Premiers office
- The "Youth Impact and COVID19" petition gained over 575 signatures in one week.
Conversation continuities with the Ministry of Child and Family Development in providing clarity in this uncertain time, and there has been a promise that no youth from care will be left behind.
As policy advocates we thank the government for their action at this time, and will continue to urge a comprehensive and universal lens of support to bring a sense of stability, safety and health for the well-being of our youth at all times.
Updates will follow as a clarifying light in shed on the questions many of us share in relation to the expand of supports, including who to contact.
Wishing you safety, health and hope.
- The Fostering Change Team