Policy advocacy is one of many kinds of advocacy! At Fostering Change we are focused on changing the laws that affect the lives of youth transitioning from government care across British Columbia. This means that we engage in activities that will get decision makers (typically - Ministers, Assistant Deputy Ministers, and MLAs) attention so they can change the fine print that makes eligibility to post majority services, like Agreements with Young Adults, inaccessible to most youth leaving care.
2 Step Approach
Team development - activities to increase your confidence in advocacy.
- team meetings to set up campaign activities
- time to connect with peers from care
- celebration of each other and the work we do together
- workshops to increase knowledge of policy levels, writing skills and more!
Everyone who works with the campaign has lived expertise in the child welfare system.
We invited all youth (anyone under 30) and with lived expertise in care (all care statuses) to join us!
Policy Advocacy - peaceful, intentional lobbying.
Everything we offer for activities is connected to the change we want to see using:
- Awareness raising activities (rally's, public events)
- Policy Solutions Day (a day of meeting with provincial decision makers)
- Letter's to decision makers, media interviews, writing for paper
We are not a front-line youth serving organization, but exist to serve policy change so that all youth will leave care supported
and looking forward to their 19th birthday.