Fostering Change is an initiative to improve policy, practice and community connections for young people transitioning from foster care to adulthood. We’re working in collaboration with a growing set of partners to achieve our goal – that every young person leaving foster care has the opportunities and support needed to thrive as adults.
Goal: Every young person leaving foster care has the opportunities and support needed to thrive as adults
Over the past five years we made some great steps forward:
- We showed that 92% of people across BC provide their own children with support post-19, and that 76% believe support should be extended for foster care youth
- Our research calculated that costs of up to $268 million per year are associated with the adverse experiences of youth from care, while only $57 million per year is required to improve outcomes
- We attracted over 17,000 petition signatures demonstrating that the public want to see action on this issue by government, business, and the community
- We expanded youth engagement by non-profits, including youth with lived experience as staff and partners in research and project implementation
- We created a “Candidates Pledge” signed by both current and former Ministers for Children and Family Development, 41 MLA’s, and 147 BC Election Candidates, to further improve support
- We distributed $5M in grants to non-profits to create better connections / support for foster care youth
None of these achievements would have been possible without the exceptional leadership of our Youth Advisory Circle - a diverse group of young people between 17-24 years old with lived experience of being in government care and being homeless.
The work of Fostering Change is continuing through the youth advisors that lead this work, and the amazing staff of First Call who have the tools, skills, and resources to continue making a difference on these issues.
Fostering Change is a campaign hosted by First Call: BC Child and Youth Advocacy Coalition. First Call does not sell, trade, or rent our mailing lists or contact information.